My 51st birthday is 204 days away and I still realize that I have squandered my time thus far by dealing with some people and certain situations that have not benefited me in any shape, way or form.
I wrote this list a couple of years aho and have been dragging my feet for a myriad of reasons too long to list. But a recent change in my life has ignited my quest to tackle this list and have a plan for the next part of my life (whether my son come back home to live with me after college or not).
Now I have always had a short bucket list: write comedy skits, produce a short film, write another screen play, tour Europe via train. But with the advent of Pinterest and Google, I decided to expand my list a bit so I came up with the following revised list:
1. Travel Europe by train – it has always been on my heart and mind to start in London and travel to Amsterdam, Paris and Venice. I also want to go back to Santorini, Greece and watch the incredible sunset.
2. Write comedy skits – maybe take classes at Second City when I go back to Chicago. (And Jay Pharoah, I have a great skit for you. Call me!)
3. Learn a new vocabulary word every day. I just came up with this one after sitting in a meeting with a clearly inexperienced young lady who was super limited in her vocabulary. It was painful to listen to her because I know she doesn’t have a clue.
4. Make a short film based on a short story I wrote back in college – I was going to try to learn to animate it myself but I keep being told that I shouldn’t bother trying to learn animation myself. I should hire someone to do it for me. (Hi hater! I see you.)
5. Learn a new language – This will be important when I tackle item # 1. But which language do I learn? French? Italian? Hmmm. I’ll get back to you on this one.
6. Make my own wine – I’m not a big drinker but I would like to make my own wine – as long as it doesn’t involve the old art form of using my bare feet (or worse, someone else’s feet) to stomp the grapes.
7. Attend Mardi Gras – Just for the beads and the experience…not to flash anyone…I hope.
8. Ride a gondola in Venice with my lover/best friend. (I’m waiting…)
9. Take an Alaskan cruise – I’m not big on boats or being captive anywhere but Alaska is visually stunning and I would love to go there when the weather is not abnormally cold.
10. Go on an African safari – this idea came to be after watching a partial episode of a TV show called Zoo.
11. Take a cooking class or go to cooking school to learn to be a better baker.
12. Travel to Costa Rica, Fiji, Bora Bora and Rio De Janeiro.
13. Be an extra on a TV show or movie.
14. On one of these kick ass trips, fly first class -- ‘Nuf said.
15. Become a contestant on The Amazing Race. I just need to find a partner who can drive a stick and will eat gross things.
Dream big…you never know what could happen.
Trying and failing is better than not trying and wondering what if for the rest of your life.
Life…it’s not rocket science